Link Stats
Added By: Jon
Added on: 05/18/2009 @ 5:21:51 AM
Link View Count: 586
NBA
NBA
Rate this Link
Yours:

Rated 0 times.

Timberwolves put the gambling back into the NBA Draft Lottery

I really want to try this, but there's so little upside for me.

It would be really sweet if the Wolves got the first or second pick, but after that, it would be (relatively) costly for anyone not living close to the games and who wouldn't go to the games otherwise.

When I first read about this, I found a simulator of the lottery and the first time I tried it, Minnesota got the top pick. Of course, it was like 5 minutes of re-clicking til they got it again. Chances are (according to the math that I looked up on wikipedia rather than doing myself) they will get the 5th or 6th pick. It's almost a 2/3 chance of that. Plus, they could get lower than the 6th, meaning it is just barely under a 3/4 chance that the tickets would end up being 5 or 6 dollars. That'd be the equivalent of paying for about 14-17 games in those seats and getting 29 games worth of tickets. Still a good deal, but I probably wouldn't spend that much on tickets otherwise and the gas and food costs would put it to where I couldn't justify it. Still, the idea of spending $29 dollars to be able to see LeBron, Wade, and Kobe in person makes me interested. (That'd be a $1 savings even if those were the only games you went to and threw away the other 26.) If the Wolves get the top pick, I will be kicking myself. But only softly because I doubt I could talk myself into this gamble unless I lived in the Twin Cities.
View External Link [www.nba.com]
Back to Link List
jon.jpgJon - 1 bajillion posts
05/18/2009 @ 05:53:16 AM
 Quote this comment
Now that I look at it again, though, the non-refundable deposit is only $29, so I wonder if that means you could just be making a $29 dollar gamble. In that case, it might be worth it if you were willing to part with that money 74.5% of the time for the for the 16% chance to get a really good deal at pick 1 or a slightly less good deal at pick 2 or a 9.5% chance of pick 3 where you'd have to go to 9 games to "get your money's worth."
Rate this comment
Yours:

Rated 0 times.
newalex.jpgAlex - 3618 Posts
05/18/2009 @ 01:31:43 PM
 Quote this comment
My level of NBA interest has tanked like a team trying to win the #1 pick over the last couple years. I think you need to be in the first 20 rows to make it better to go to a NBA game than watch it on TV. Unless there's really that good of an atmosphere in the arena, which I have found not to be the case in the couple of Bucks games I've gone to in the last couple years. I'm sure these seats are in the nosebleed section.
Rate this comment
Yours:

Rated 0 times.
jeremy.jpgJeremy - I hate our freedoms
05/18/2009 @ 01:44:31 PM
 Quote this comment
I wouldn't do it, even if I lived there and was a basketball fan. By the end of the year last year the Timberwolves had resorted to basically paying you to attend the game. There will likely be better deals* for the few games you REALLY want to see anyway, and probably in better sections than the upper deck ends of the court.

Edit: *Well, it's hard to beat $1, but I guess I look at it this way, I would rather get an Upper Club ticket for $6-8 off, than a free General Admission seat, for a Twins game.
Rate this comment
Yours:

Rated 0 times.
Jeremy messed with this at 05/18/2009 1:50:32 pm
face.bmpCarlos44ec - 2078 Posts
05/20/2009 @ 05:31:47 PM
 Quote this comment
Alex Wrote - 05/18/2009 @ 01:31:43 PM
My level of NBA interest has tanked like a team trying to win the #1 pick over the last couple years. I think you need to be in the first 20 rows to make it better to go to a NBA game than watch it on TV. Unless there's really that good of an atmosphere in the arena, which I have found not to be the case in the couple of Bucks games I've gone to in the last couple years. I'm sure these seats are in the nosebleed section.


I went to a Timberpuppies-Suns game. The atmosphere better be there or it's just a damned waste.
Rate this comment
Yours:

Rated 0 times.
IMG_3063[1].jpgjthompto - 209 Posts
06/24/2009 @ 06:39:38 AM
 Quote this comment
http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/48928907.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUycaEacyU

T-wolves trade Miller and Foye to the Wiz for the #5 pick and a bunch of crap. They now have 4 first round picks and 2 in the top ten. I think they are trying to trade up even farther possibly to number 2. While at least it will make thursday night somewhat interesting.

In Bucks news, Milwaukee sent Jefferson to the Spurs.
Rate this comment
Yours:

Rated 0 times.
newalex.jpgAlex - 3618 Posts
07/20/2009 @ 09:57:36 PM
 Quote this comment
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4342057

This isn't really that interesting, I was just wondering how Q feels after being traded for the 3rd time this summer.
Rate this comment
Yours:

Rated 0 times.
Leave a Comment of your very own
Name:
Comment:
Verify this code
Verify the Code in this box, or sign in, to post a comment.
click me!
There's an emoticon for how you feel!
click me!
My Files
Sign up, or login, to be able to upload files for Nutcan.com users to see.